Scheidel College Scholarship
The Scheidel Scholarship, founded by Herb and Miyuki Scheidel in 2002, provides Habitat families of St. Johns County and Jacksonville Beaches with an educational scholarship. This is a unique opportunity that is only available to these two local Habitat affiliates as the Scheidel Foundation is based out of Ponte Vedra in north St. Johns County.
Our families are blessed not only with the opportunity of homeownership but also the opportunity of an education.
Scholarship is valid at these local colleges:
- University of North Florida (UNF)
- St. Johns River State College (SJRSC)
- Florida State College of Jacksonville
The eligibility requirements include:
- be the child of a Habitat homeowner or the homeowner
- under the age of 24 years old (unless it is the homeowner)
- meet college admissions requirements
- complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aide (FAFSA)
- volunteer 12 hours per school year to maintain the scholarship
Scheidel Prep Club
Also, funded by the Scheidel Family Foundation is the Prep Club. This program is designed to provide incentives and educational support to students who live in Habitat homes. This program awards students in grades K-12 for perfect attendance and grades. The hope is that the students will learn the value and importance of education while also preparing them to enter college upon graduation from high school. To join the Prep Club, there is an application and questionnaire and the students must sign a Drug Free Pledge. The students then submit their report cards to the Habitat office on a quarterly basis.
Only letter grades in academic courses are considered.
An awards ceremony is held quarterly to award students for their accomplishments.